Top Ad 728x90

mardi 10 février 2026

Two CBP Officers Fired Agency Weapons During Minneapolis Shooting: Report

 

Two CBP Officers Fired Agency Weapons During Minneapolis Shooting: What We Know

In late January 2026, a fatal confrontation between federal immigration agents and a Minneapolis resident drew national attention, sparking protests, political debate, and multiple investigations. According to a Department of Homeland Security (DHS) report sent to Congress, two U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers discharged their agency-issued firearms in the encounter that ended with the death of 37-year-old Alex Jeffrey Pretti in Minneapolis.

The incident — part of a broader federal immigration enforcement operation — has raised urgent questions about the use of force by federal law enforcement, transparency, and accountability. Here’s what the initial reports and official documents reveal so far.


What Happened in Minneapolis?

On January 24, 2026, federal immigration agents were conducting an enforcement operation in Minneapolis, part of what authorities described as Operation Metro Surge, a targeted effort involving federal officers in the city.

According to the DHS report obtained by news outlets and shared with Congress, agents encountered civilians, including Alex Pretti, around Nicollet Avenue and 26th Street. Pretti — a 37-year-old intensive care unit nurse at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs hospital — was present near the scene as officers sought to move people out of the roadway.

The DHS timeline says a struggle ensued when agents attempted to take Pretti into custody. During that struggle, one agent is reported to have shouted, “He’s got a gun!” multiple times. Approximately five seconds later, both a Border Patrol agent and a CBP officer discharged their service weapons — specifically a Glock 19 and a Glock 47 — at Pretti.

The DHS report does not state that Pretti brandished or reached for a firearm immediately before the shots were fired.


Weapons Used and Official Account

According to the initial government report:

  • A Border Patrol agent discharged a CBP-issued Glock 19.

  • A Customs and Border Protection officer also fired a CBP-issued Glock 47.

  • Both officers are part of the same federal immigration agency (CBP) but serve in different roles within that agency.

This is the most detailed official disclosure yet from the Department of Homeland Security and CBP regarding the actions taken by federal agents during the encounter. Prior to these notifications, agency officials had provided limited details about the number of shots fired and the use of force.


What the Report Does and Does Not Say

The DHS account sent to lawmakers is based on a preliminary review by CBP’s Office of Professional Responsibility, which examines potential conduct issues involving CBP personnel.

What the report says:

  • Two federal officers fired their CBP-issued weapons during the encounter that resulted in Pretti’s death.

  • A struggle occurred before shots were fired, and one agent reportedly claimed Pretti had a weapon.

  • The incident was part of a federal enforcement action.

What the report does not say:

  • Whether Pretti actually raised or used a weapon just before the shots were fired.

  • Whether the shots were legally justified under federal use-of-force policy.

  • Whether Pretti was struck by both officers’ gunfire or only one set of shots.

The initial DHS account also stops short of providing a complete narrative of the minutes before, during, or after the shooting, leaving several critical questions about the sequence of events and the justification for deadly force.


Contested Narrative and Public Reaction

Following the shooting, federal officials initially characterized the encounter in more definitive terms, with statements claiming the subject posed an active threat. But the preliminary DHS report does not clearly support those assertions, particularly regarding whether the subject posed an immediate lethal threat.

Video footage taken by bystanders has circulated online and shows a chaotic scene in which federal agents pepper-sprayed individuals and wrestled Pretti to the ground before gunshots were heard. Some analysts of the footage have raised questions about whether Pretti’s firearm had already been removed from his waistband by an officer before the shots were fired.

In the aftermath, local officials, civil rights advocates, and lawmakers across the political spectrum have called for a transparent, independent investigation into the use of force by federal agents. Many criticized the initial lack of public disclosure and the decision by federal authorities to withhold key evidence, such as full body camera footage.


Agents Identified and Administrative Leave

Later reporting identified the two officers involved — Border Patrol agent Jesus “Jesse” Ochoa and CBP officer Raymundo Gutierrez — based on government records reviewed by journalists. Both were assigned to the Minneapolis operation and later placed on administrative leave following the shooting.

Administrative leave in such cases is standard procedure while investigations continue, rather than an indication of guilt or innocence. But the identification of the officers has intensified calls for accountability and transparency.


Broader Context and Ongoing Protests

The Pretti shooting was the second fatal encounter between federal immigration agents and civilians in Minneapolis in January 2026, coming days after another man, Renee Good, was shot and killed during a separate federal operation.

These incidents have sparked widespread protests across Minneapolis and other cities, drawing attention to federal law enforcement tactics, the scope of immigration enforcement operations, and questions about federal and local jurisdiction. Demonstrators have called for federal agents to withdraw from local enforcement activities until investigations conclude.


Investigations and Accountability

Multiple investigations are reportedly underway:

  • A federal investigation into whether federal agents followed proper use-of-force protocols.

  • A state investigation by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which has been critical of federal cooperation and access to evidence.

  • Potential congressional hearings about federal law enforcement practices and oversight.

Lawmakers have expressed concern that federal secrecy and limited evidence sharing hinder public understanding and accountability. Calls for independent investigations — possibly involving the Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division — have intensified amid wider scrutiny of immigration law enforcement operations.


Conclusion: A Complex, Contentious Incident

The newly disclosed government report confirms that two CBP officers fired their agency-issued weapons during the January 2026 Minneapolis shooting that killed Alex Pretti.

Yet significant questions remain about what exactly transpired, why deadly force was used, and whether it was justified under federal policy. The incident has prompted strong public reactions, protests, calls for transparency, and multiple investigations at both federal and state levels.

As authorities continue to review evidence and lawmakers press for answers, the case remains a focal point in the ongoing national debate over law enforcement, immigration policy, and accountability in the use of deadly force.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire